Forging

Modifying Keg Shoes

Kick Up Your Heels!

Knowing how to add heels to your keg shoes is a useful and profitable skill
If your customers or climate require even the occasional use of calks, it makes sense to stock a variety of heeled shoes in your shoeing rig.
Read More

Could You Forge This Shoe in 12 Minutes?

Follow minute-by-minute as former reserve world champion blacksmith James Blurton forges a front pleasure shoe
Turning a bar of steel into a finished shoe in 12 minutes certainly takes plenty of forging skills and the ability to work fast.
Read More

Hot and Cold Tips for Better Forging

Developing these skills will pay off in increased efficiency and better shoeing
Some of the most important work a farrier does takes place at least a few feet from the horse that’s being shod. Skills at the anvil can set a farrier apart from run-of-the-mill shoers. The ability to hand forge specialty shoes or fine-tune keg shoes can greatly enhance your ability to increase your shoeing incomes.
Read More
Winning-Shoes.jpg

$41,177.84!!

That’s the unbelievable value of farrier products earned by 71 mail-in forging exercise participants
With an astounding eight-fold increase from participating shoers in a year’s time and outstanding support from 47 farrier suppliers, the 2001 mail-in forging exercise was a rip-roaring success.
Read More
Back To The Basics

Overcoming Your Fears Of Aluminum

Care is needed in working this light and highly useful metal
When it comes to aluminum, a lot of farriers would prefer leaving the making of a horseshoe to the manufacturer. But there are ways to help simplify working aluminum bar stock into a good, useable shoe.
Read More
Shoe Boards

Passing The Bar

When starting your shoeing display, the bar shoe is the place to begin
Cut five pieces of 5/16-by-3/4-inch bar stock, 14 inches long. By making at least five shoes, there is a good chance that you will have one that is worthy of your display, and the rest can probably be used in your business.
Read More
Back to the Basics

Anatomy of a Nail Hole

Punching a nail hole seems simple, but plenty can go wrong
Most top forging hands will agree that making a perfect plain stamped shoe can be one of the toughest things to do. While it seems like this should be one of the easiest shoes to make, it isn’t.
Read More
Back to the Basics

Firing Up The Forge

Building and maintaining coal and coke fires
Learning this skill was tough. I read every text I could find on the subject, but nothing spelled it out in a way I could get my mind around.
Read More

Top Articles

Current Issue

View More

Current Issue

View More

Must Read Free Eguides

Download these helpful knowledge building tools

View More
Top Directory Listings