Clients

Open_QA_AFJ_0916.jpg

Farrier Q&A: September/October 2016

Maintaining feet that can become compromised by the effects of climate and environment can be a tough challenge. What is your strategy for getting the client’s help in limiting the damage caused by heat and dampness?
Traditionally, this article presents hoof-care advice from farriers throughout the United States and Canada. For this Q&A, we had breakfast with a group of farriers who work around the Ocala, Fla., area. Combined, these farriers shoe a variety of horses ranging from backyard horses to high-end sport horses. They shared their thoughts on a common issue that farriers in their area — as well as those elsewhere — commonly face.
Read More
Keeper_After_AprilRaine.jpg

Educating Your Clients on Supplements

Vitamins, minerals, amino acids and even algae can support healthy feet and joints
Proper equine nutrition is pivotal in support of healthy feet and joints. However, it’s not always attainable without some help. There are a number of supplements on the market today that help horse owners provide an adequate and balanced diet with the goal of improving hoof strength and growth, as well as protecting joints from wear-and-tear problems.
Read More
788_SFL_Marijke_Ellert_JC_0716.jpg
Shoeing for a Living

A FIERCE Passion for Helping Horses

California farrier enjoys the rewards of therapeutic shoeing
“And though she be but little, she is fierce.” Helena famously des­­cribed Hermia this way in A Mid­sum­mer’s Night Dream. In fact, since William Shakespeare’s words first were uttered on stage in the late 1500s, it’s been used countless times to describe people and things. When Placerville, Calif., farrier Marijke Ellert opens up her rig, the quote is there for all to see, emblazoned on the back wall. The word “FIERCE” is prominent by appearing in all capital letters.
Read More
IMAG2833.jpg

Solve Conflicts Through Understanding

Farrier and vet share tips to build a rapport with clients and help their horses
Conflict is part and parcel of operating a farrier practice. Yet, how you handle dissention will go a long way toward not only determining how successful you’ll be, but also how well you understand your client’s point of view — and by extension, your ability to educate them about hoof care.
Read More
Open_Tax_0916.jpg

Avoid Penalties By Staying Aware Of Sales Tax Laws

State and municipal regulations on charging sales tax can change with little notice and affect your business operations
I recently was reminded how things in the business world can change without much notice. I took my trusty old truck in for some service. When I dropped it off, my mechanic said that he had some bad news. Now, that’s scary when he hasn’t even looked at the truck! The bad news was that North Carolina had expanded its sales tax laws to include labor charges related to repairs, maintenance and installation of a number of products.
Read More
News & Notes

AAEP Seeks Donations For Horses In Louisiana Flooding

The American Association of Equine Practitioners Foundation and other Louisiana veterinary organizations are seeking donations to assist with the rescue and care for horses affected by the flooding in Louisiana, as well as for future preparedness planning and education for first responders. 
Read More

Top Articles

Current Issue

View More

Current Issue

View More

Must Read Free Eguides

Download these helpful knowledge building tools

View More
Top Directory Listings