Lamenesses

Research Journal

A controlled experimental trial with 16 young Standardbreds was conducted to determine if oral administration of glucosamine would influence blood levels of osteocalcin, keratan sulfate and pyridinoline crosslinks of type-I collagen as indicators for cartilage and bone metabolism during 48 weeks of race training.
Read More

The Blame Game

Lame horses might have legitimate complaints, but they don’t point fingers at farriers. Should you?
When dissatisfied with the work of a farrier, one horse owner told us, she likes to “hit the nail on the head and get the air cleared. It isn’t always pretty, but it’s a necessary evil.”
Read More

Briefings

When it comes to shoeing tools, Doug Dutcher has this advice for getting a better grip. “Wrap your rounding hammer handle with VetWrap,” says the farrier who shoes in Fulton and Montgomery counties in New York.
Read More

Lameness Causes Often Man-Made

Excessive trimming of the horny frog, sole and hoof wall are the major concerns
In my shoeing work, I see a variety of diseases and injuries that can be attributed to lameness conditions.
Read More

Farriers’ Roundtable

In our practice, we work with a number of veterinarians and service several “rescue” facilities. The entire team — owner, veterinarian and farrier — must carefully evaluate each case. 

Read More

Top Articles

Current Issue

View More

Current Issue

View More

Must Read Free Eguides

Download these helpful knowledge building tools

View More
Top Directory Listings