Lamenesses

Frankly Speaking

Laminitis Knowledge Grows, But Still A Long Way To Go

While much has been learned about laminitis over the past 25 years, Andy Parks maintains the picture is still incomplete. He told attendees at last winter’s American Association of Equine Practitioners meeting that treatment techniques lag well behind the understanding of the pathophysiology of this disease.

Read More

Laminitis: What Comes First?

Scottish researcher offers alternative to widely held theory
Susan Kempson may have caused the biggest single splash at the third annual International Hoof-Care Summit when she shared her theory on what is the initial event in laminitis — a theory that many farriers in the audience obviously felt mirrored their own observations.
Read More

Research Journal

In an experimental trial, researchers at The Ohio State University used a force plate to evaluate kinetic variables as indicators of forelimb lameness in 32 horses exercised in hand at a trot.

Read More

Briefings

Ric Redden, the equine veterinarian from Versailles, Ky., says before you can learn anything from taking the hoof pulse of a horse in a laminitis exam, you have to know what a non-elevated pulse feels like.

Read More

Farriers' Roundtable

With long-toe and no-heel syndrome, should I be most assertive over a short period of time or a long time? Should I set back the shoe with extra heel length or set it back a little at a time with pads and shoes?
Read More

Online with the Farriers Forum

Wall Seperation
I've recently been called to trim a horse and noticed that the hoof on the off-side front has separated from the coronet front by about 3 inches. After pointing out this problem to the owners, they told me that the horse was totally lame about a week prior and it's now sound and putting full weight on the foot. There's no sign of infection, and during trimming the horse shows no signs of discomfort. There's a lot of movement in the separation opening and you can see a sensitive area that appears to be healthy.
Read More

Top Articles

Current Issue

View More

Current Issue

View More

Must Read Free Eguides

Download these helpful knowledge building tools

View More
Top Directory Listings