Anatomy

2020 in Review

Top 10 Articles from May 2020

Shoeing and feeding strategies to improve hoof quality, the role that alfalfa can play in the diet of insulin resistant horses, the limitations of radiographs and skeletal specializations of the equine reciprocating systems were among the topics that most got your interest in May 2020.
Read More
Safe horses
2020 in Review

Top 10 Articles from January 2020

The past year has been interesting, to say the least. While the COVID-19 pandemic has resulted in restrictions in our daily lives, it also has been one of the busiest years within the farrier industry as horse owners spent more time with their mounts. With increased business comes a greater need for hoof-care education. As the year comes to a close, American Farriers Journal editors compiled the articles that you read most from each month in 2020.
Read More
F1_Bennett1220.jpg
Equine Reciprocating Systems

Hoof Trim has Varied Effects on the Equine Forelimb

Demonstrations and real-life examples challenge farriers to think about their approach to solving foot problems
Throughout this series, I have illustrated the concept of systems anatomy. Veterinary education and that of traditional farriers are based on regional anatomy, which studies regions and the anatomical components of each. The perspective of systems anatomy is that bodies are organized hierarchically, i.e. building up from small functional units (for example, cells or single tissues) to subsystems (for example, organs), which work together to make up a major system such as the nervous, circulatory or musculoskeletal system.
Read More
Free art
News and Notes

Study Links Bone Loss to Proximal Sesamoid Bone Fractures in California Racehorses

A recent study by Sarah Shaffer, International Equine Veterinarian Hall of Fame member Dr. Susan Stover and colleagues at the J.D. Wheat Veterinary Orthopedic Research Laboratory at the UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine sought to characterize bone abnormalities that precede proximal sesamoid bone fractures and determine if pre-existing abnormalities are associated with these fractures.
Read More

Research Journal: July/August 2020

The information, ideas and opinions expressed are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the United States Department of Agriculture.
Swiss researchers surveyed 133 Icelandic competition horses at four international horse shows to assess the relationships between hoof size, shape and balance, and the occurrence of hoof pathology and athletic performance. Measurements and radiographs of the left front and hind hooves were taken at the competitions with additional measurements made from the radiographs at a later date.
Read More
HOTA_0720.png

Shop Talk: July/August 2020

Two farriers, Lee Collins and Peter Day, recently co-authored a paper that was published in The Journal of Equine Veterinary Science. The paper, which is titled “The Effect on Tungsten Road Nails on Locomotor Biomechanics in Horses Moving on Tarmac Surface,” examines how road nails impact the horse’s movement symmetry.
Read More
Open_F14_Bennett7.jpg

Equine Reciprocating Systems: New Parts and Novel Attachments

Understanding the anatomical parts and novel attachments critical to reciprocating systems in the modern-day equine will lay the farrier’s groundwork for achieving soundness
Writing this installment in our Equine Reciprocating Limb series, I could not help but hear the lyrics to Bob Dylan’s “Subterranean Homesick Blues” running through my head — especially the punch line: “The pump don’t work ’cause the vandals took the handles.” That very aptly sums up one of my main points: if anatomical parts aren’t connected, reciprocation does not happen.
Read More

Top Articles

Current Issue

View More

Current Issue

View More

Must Read Free Eguides

Download these helpful knowledge building tools

View More
Top Directory Listings