Education

Booknotes: Recollections From 202 Years Of Family Shoeing

Sparks From The Smiddy, The Life Of A World Champion Farrier By David Wilson as told to Andrew Arbuckle
More than 25 years ago, during a visit with David Wilson in Scotland, he took me to see the blacksmith shop and attached house that six generations of his family had called home. Located in the sleepy little hamlet of Kilmany, the homestead is just a few kilometers from the world-famous old St. Andrews Links where golf got its start in 1552.
Read More

Spotlight on Hoof Care: Consider The Entire Horse For Better Shoeing

Clinic draws from nutrition and whole-horse examinations to find solutions for laminitic horses
There is more to farriery than just looking at the horse’s hoof. To treat horses properly, it’s necessary to look at the whole horse and consider its gait, conformation and body weight and how those factors affect the hooves and how the trimming and shoes that are applied can affect the rest of the horse.
Read More

Thoughts on Defining the “Good” Foot

Approaching the concept of a “normal” foot led to an exercise in thinking about the elusive “good” foot
When given the opportunity to write about shoeing a normal foot, my first move was to discuss the topic with a well-respected colleague, who quickly asked me “Jeffrey, what is a normal foot?” Naturally, I began to reflect on my daily work, thinking that most of my feet were fairly “normal.” But then I thought about the question more and came to the realization that almost all of my so-called “normal” horses present me with some type of a conformational or structural challenge that I am constantly striving to improve.
Read More
Web-Exclusive Feature

What I’ve Learned About Founder

After 67 years of farrier work, this Texas farrier maintains most cases are caused by fever
I certainly don’t have all the answers when it comes to treating founder, but there have been some things that have really worked for me when dealing with foundered horses over more than 6 decades.
Read More
Grant Moon forging
News & Notes

Hall Of Famers Headline Cornell Farrier Conference

Grant Moon and Bob Pethick discuss importance of forging and managing displaced heels and quarter cracks
A pair of Hall Of Fame farriers headlined the annual Cornell University Farrier Conference on Nov. 14-15 in Ithaca, N.Y. Grant Moon and Bob Pethick performed a number of forging and live shoeing demonstrations, as well as several lectures over the 2-day event.
Read More

Top Articles

Current Issue

View More

Current Issue

View More

Must Read Free Eguides

Download these helpful knowledge building tools

View More
Top Directory Listings