Shoeing

Cover

Cutting Back on Shoe Loss on Hard-Working Western Horses

Farriers share tips for keeping shoes in place while still supplying proper support for horses working in arenas and ranches
On occasion almost any horse will experience the loss of a shoe catching it on a gate or fence while pawing and jerking it off, or scrambling in deep mud and stepping it off, or some other abnormal situation. Some horses, however, routinely pull their shoes off due to the way they travel and overreach. In these cases, careful measures must be taken to eliminate foot contact.
Read More

More Shoers Share Their Thoughts on Signposts in the Hoof

Responses keep coming in on survey of landmarks farriers use to guide them in their hoof trimming
Last issue, we shared some of the responses we received to an e-mail we sent out asking our readers to let us know what landmarks they use to guide their trimming. Responses continue coming in and we thought we’d share some more of them with you.
Read More
Online with the Farrier's Forum

Looking For Advice On Drawing Clips

Q: Am I the only person who struggles with clips — especially side clips. I have no problem drawing the material without distorting the nail holes, but after I am done drawing out the material, I am left with an extremely straight branch or a “mule shoe.” Does anybody know how to avoid this dilemma?
Read More

Farriers' Roundtable

Experience! After seeing thousands of horses over the last 42 years, I use a straight bar for horses that have a sheared heel, an overreaching or forging problem.
Read More
Pat Reilly

Never a Normal Day

Being the farrier at the University of Pennsylvania’s New Bolton Center requires the profession’s traditional skills, as well as those of a teacher and an inventor
Being able to problem solve for the unexpected and unfamiliar is a job requirement for farriers. Even today, when manufacturers continually make new keg shoes and equipment to tackle nearly every footcare issue, resourceful shoers will still reach for bar stock when unique cases arise.
Read More
Farrier Innovation

Glue-ons and Foals: Two Alternatives From Simple Materials

Methods allow customized fits in special situations.
Attaching shoes to the feet of foals is often a daunting task. The very reasons for shoeing often require extensions that are difficult to maintain on any age horse, while the complication of a foal's long limbs, lack of training and limited hoof capsule for attachment can make for an extremely trying experience.
Read More
Eric Fischer
Shoeing For A Living

Delivering Good Work In The Garden State

Whether finding a specialized shoe or offering payment options, New Jersey farrier Eric Fischer caters to his clients
Just like unexplained delays and bottled tap water that per gallon costs 10 times as much as diesel fuel, an inquisitive stranger sitting in a nearby seat is one of those inevitable treats at American airports.
Read More
Double-Barreled Hoof-Care Advice

Dealing With Scheduling, Pricing Obstacles

It’s never easy to deal with clients who want to stretch out hoof-care schedules or object to additional costs

At last winter’s fifth annual International Hoof-Care Summit in Cincinnati, two veteran farriers tackled a number of frequently asked questions about the footcare industry. For the second straight year, this “Point/Counterpoint” discussion proved to be among the highlights of this annual event.

Read More

Top Articles

Current Issue

View More

Current Issue

View More

Must Read Free Eguides

Download these helpful knowledge building tools

View More
Top Directory Listings