Shoeing

Online With the Farriers' Forum

Farriers Weigh in on Missing Frogs

A client has obtained a rescue horse, which I trimmed about 10 weeks ago. At that time, the frog was gone from three hooves. I didn’t think anything about it since most horses were shedding frogs at that time.

Read More
Online With the Farriers' Forum

Seeking Advice on Adjusting a Patten Bar Shoe

Q. What would you suggest for dropping the angle of a patten bar shoe? How much time do you allow between adjustments and how many degrees at a time? This is a 10-degree bar on a mare who has had a lot of damage to the deep digital flexor tendon and surrounding tissue.

Read More

In Defense Of Shoes

The six winners of the Mustad’s scholarship essay contest describe why horses should be shod

Shoeing allows farriers to provide five benefits to horses: protection, traction, correction, therapeutic and performance. Most horses today are used for performance and pleasure. The duties that owners ask of their horses are tough and can be physically hard on the animals. With special shoes, horses are able to perform amazing moves with less stress to the hoof and all structures supported by it.

Read More

Farriers' Roundtable

When dealing with a flat-footed horse, is it advisable to pare out sole to give the foot some cup? What are the possible negative consequences from doing that?
Read More
Online with the Farriers' Forum

Farriers Share Thoughts on Pad Use

I have been a farrier for 7 years. I have started doing endurance riding. My horse has very sensitive front feet. One of them is slightly upright. I usually put plastic pads on him for endurance rides because the footing is often very rocky and we ride pretty fast and hard.

Read More
Doug Anderson
Shoeing For A Living

Blood And Bones

Maryland farrier bases his hoof care on attention to bony column alignment and encouraging circulation
The foundation of hoof care for farrier Doug Anderson comes down to something that sounds like it could be the name of a pirate or horror movie — Blood and Bones.
Read More
Double-Barreled Hoof-Care Advice

Placing Nails, Fitting Shoes

It’s not an easy decision to make and there are many differing opinions as to what works best

At last winter’s fifth annual International Hoof-Care Summit in Cincinnati, two veteran farriers tackled a number of the most frequently asked questions about the footcare industry.

Read More

Top Articles

Current Issue

View More

Current Issue

View More

Must Read Free Eguides

Download these helpful knowledge building tools

View More
Top Directory Listings