Shoeing

F1_S Curtis.jpg

How Grip and Purchase Benefits the Horse

Understanding grip and purchase will improve your understanding of farrier physics

Of the different techniques farriers bring to trimming and shoeing horses, probably one of the least talked about, yet vital resource, would be the concept of grip and purchase, according to Dr. Simon Curtis, a Newmarket, England-based farrier and International Horseshoeing Hall of Fame member.

Read More
1652_SFL_Stonefield_Hank-Chishom_JC_0521.jpg

Reliance on the Basics Benefits the Horse and Farrier

Hank Chisholm urges reliance on the foundations of farriery for the good of the horse

When building a house, a solid foundation first must be established to ensure that the structure remains sound for continued long-term use. The same is true for farriery.
Yet, humans are in a hurry. We often want to run before learning to walk. In farrier terms, some want to forge a three-quarter fullered shoe before learning to bend a toe. After shoeing for nearly 40 years, Hank Chisholm of Lucedale, Miss., emphasizes the importance of establishing a solid foundation in the basics of farriery and then relying on it for the rest of your career.

Read More
F1ab_Allen.jpg

How Floatation Helped Two Horses

Two cases featuring a Quarter Horse and Thoroughbred show examples of how floating the heels can help a horse

I’ve worked on many horses throughout my career that I just couldn’t seem to get to grow any heel on their low-heeled foot. If they did, they would crush it, or the base of the foot would be pushed forward.
Using methods that are already widely accepted throughout the industry, I will offer a unique approach that could help improve these types of feet. 

Read More
2023-Mail-In_AFJ_1122_OPEN.jpg

2023 Mail-In Deadline Coming Up

The 2023 Summit Mail-In Forging Exercise will earn a winner a buckle and all participants a T-shirt for making this horseshoe

The 2023 International Hoof-Care Summit celebrates its 20th anniversary at this January’s event. This is also the ninth Summit Mail-In Forging Exercise, so I wanted to create a good challenge of solid forging elements for you. But as much as I want to push you out of your comfort zone with this exercise, I also want to create a practical shoe that you might find useful under the right circumstances. This is the perfect marriage: challenging your skill set and a finished product that can help a horse with a specific problem. Of course, we never want to apply a shoe that isn’t suitable for the horse or its needs.

Read More
Open_SFL-Morris.jpg
Shoeing for a Living

Arabian Show Horse Farrier Plays the Angles

Oregon farrier Zach Morris keeps mounts sound through challenges of shoeing rules and conformational faults

These are busy days for Zach Morris.
The Lyons, Ore., farrier is logging significant miles — both on the road and in the air — as several of his clients will be making the trek to Tulsa, Okla., for the United States National Arabian & Half-Arabian Championship Horse Show. With a little more than 2 weeks before the show, Morris has his work cut out for him.

Read More

Top Articles

Current Issue

View More

Current Issue

View More

Must Read Free Eguides

Download these helpful knowledge building tools

View More
Top Directory Listings