Anatomy

dreamstime_m_20361984.jpg

Don’t Forget The Back End

Essential strategies for taking care of horse’s hinds range from paying attention to the basics to teaming up with veterinarians
Because of the economics of raising and competing horses many disciplines are geared to the young horse. This, bluntly speaking, minimizes expenses used on a loser.
Read More
Book Notes

A Well-Balanced Approach To Footcare

Understanding The Horse’s Feet
In Understanding the Horse's Feet, the author encourages farriers to fully comprehend the complex subject of the horse's foot, hoof care and the plethora of conditions that affect it and be prepared to share much of the information with horse owners.
Read More

Tackling Unsolved Mysteries

Unanswered questions deal with the shape, angle, position, center of rotation and proper referencing
At last winter's International Hoof-Care Summit, there was considerable dialogue among farriers in one of the 24 Hoof-Care Roundtables regarding the role that the center of rotation (COR) plays in effective footcare. While this article deals with the bends in the bars of the hoof, the COR plays a key role in this discussion.
Read More
Frank Lessiter
From the Desk of AFJ

Duckett's Dot Still Hot

As has been the case for a number of years, there's still considerable interest and controversy among farriers when it comes to the theories behind Duckett's Dot. But there's no doubt the concept has played a key role in the evaluation of the horse's hoof.

Read More
Hoof_drawing.jpg

Does Lamella Strain Cause Lameness?

A European farrier believes overstretched lamina and uneven loading can lead to serious lameness concerns
In my farrier work, I sometimes come across cases of lameness that are difficult to diagnose. I have come to believe that laminar strain, often associated with uneven weight bearing, is the cause of many of these concerns.
Read More
iStock_000002673443Medium.jpg

12 Reasons Why Stumbling May Not Be a Horseshoeing Problem

Before you follow an owner’s or trainer’s instructions to modify a shoe, consider these other reasons why a horse is stumbling
Farriers often hear an owner say, "My horse stumbled, so my trainer said to tell you to rocker the toes." Many trainers and owners believe that a rolled or rocker toe is all that is needed to "correct" stumbling.
Read More

Top Articles

Current Issue

View More

Current Issue

View More

Must Read Free Eguides

Download these helpful knowledge building tools

View More
Top Directory Listings