The American Farrier’s Association Annual Convention, held in early March in Arlington, Texas, was one of the most successful in recent memory with 609 attendees, says outgoing AFA President Jon Johnson.
“It might be our best convention in 10 years,” he says.
- The following were elected or assumed offices during the convention:
- Donnie Perkinson of Grafton, Ill., is the AFA president.
- Michael S. DeLeonardo of Greenfield, Calif., is president-elect.
- Bruce Worman of Boise, Idaho, is vice president.
- Jon Johnson of Winchester, Kan., is immediate past president.
- The Farrier Industry Assn. held its annual election:
- Allen Horton of Farrier Product Distribution (FPD) is re-elected vice president.
- Susan Thomas of Montana Farrier Supply is treasurer.
- Emily Bull of Monetta Farrier Specialties is re-elected to the board.
- Rob Michel of Oleo Acres Farrier Supply is elected to the board.
- The following honors were awarded:
- Tim Dodd of Broadview Heights, Ohio, won the Allen Smith Award for Excellence in Administration.
- Robbie Hunziker of Parrish, Fla., won the Jim Linzy Outstanding Clinician Award.
- Diego Almeida of Divernon, Ill., won the J. Scott Simpson Outstanding Educator Award.
- Jim LaClaire of Pensacola, Fla., won the Edward Martin Humanitarian Award.
- FPD’s “Natural Angle,” won the Journalism Award.
- Dan Bradley of Lucedale, Miss., won the Walt Taylor Award.
- Hammer and Tongs by Megan Vera and the Texas Professional Farriers Association won the Sharon Walker Association Newsletter Award.
- Steve Sermersheim of Danville, Ill., won the Technical Writing Award.
- The participants in the cultural exchange program will be:
- Drew Morales of Richmond, Va.
- Kim Lacey of Sylvan Lake, Alberta.
- The results from the 2017 National Forging & Horseshoeing Competition:
- Travis Smith of Dillsburg, Pa., and Lamar Weaver of Earleville, Md., won the Two-Person Draft Class, sponsored by Don and Margie Gustafson (in memory of Edward Martin).
- Weaver won the Journeyman Shoe Class, sponsored by Stonewell Bodies & Machine Inc.
- Ben Mangan of Carthage, N.Y., won the Delta Mustad Specialty Forging Class, sponsored by Delta Mustad Hoofcare Center.
- Mangan won the Capewell North American Challenge Cup, sponsored by Delta Mustad Hoofcare Center.
- Lewis Plummer of Paris, Ky., won the Kerckhaert/Liberty Intermediate Division (Journeyman Shoe Class), sponsored by FPD.
- Plummer also won the Kerckhaert/Liberty Intermediate Division (Specialty Forging Class), sponsored by FPD.
- Stanley Mullen of Richmond, Ky., won the Kerckhaert/Liberty Intermediate Division (Qualifying Class), sponsored by FPD.
- Tim Koelln of Lasalle, Ontario, won the Vern Hornquist Memorial Class, sponsored by Walt Taylor and Myron McLane.
- Josh Stanley of Bozeman, Mont., won the Reserve National High Point Award, sponsored by Texas Professional Farriers Association.
- Mangan won the Overall High Point Award, sponsored by Well-Shod.
- Mangan also won the National High Point Award, sponsored by Diamond Farrier Co.
- The following were named to the 2017 American Farriers Team: Bodie Trnka of Edgewood, N.M.; Travis Smith of Dillsburg, Pa.; Andrew Wells of Auburn, Ala.; and Bryan Osborne of Paris, Ky.; Joe Nygren of Pulaski, Wis.; and Tim Byrne of New Albany, Ind.; are the first and second alternates, respectively.
OTHER INDUSTRY NEWS ...
Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf’s proposed budget calls for the defunding of the University of Pennsylvania’s School of Veterinary Medicine (Penn Vet), which includes New Bolton Center large animal hospital, according to the Daily Local News.
Wolf says he’s trying to close the state’s $3 billion deficit through government cuts and reforms. His proposed $32.3 billion budget is $571.5 million more than last year.