The equine industry, including farriers and veterinarians, has voiced concerns about whether they would be subject to the U.S government’s controversial electronic logging device (ELD) mandate by the United States government.

The mandate requires a vehicle to be fitted with a device under some of the following conditions:

  • The vehicle is used for commercial purposes.
  • You are required to obtain a commercial driver’s license because any combination of commercial vehicles you drive have a gross combined weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 or more pounds.
  • You drive more than 150 miles and not more than 8 days in a 30-day period.

To put the mandate in perspective, a Dodge Ram 2500, Chevrolet 2500, Ford F-250 or Toyota Tundra that hauls a standard, reasonably equipped farrier trailer (less than 2,500 pounds), will fall well short of the weight requirement. For specifics, visit the truck manufacturer’s website. 

The question most farriers should be asking is, “Do I need a USDOT number?” You are required to obtain a USDOT number if you have a vehicle that:

  • Is involved in Interstate commerce.
  • Is used to transport the types and quantities of hazardous materials requiring a safety permit in intrastate commerce.
  • Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of more than 10,000 pounds or more.

A number of states also require intrastate commercial vehicles to obtain a USDOT number. Check with the states that you do business in for more details.