News & Notes

How Drinking Water Affects Hoof Quality

The chemical interactions between minerals in hooves and drinking water can have a significant impact on equine nutrition
Countless horse supplements and feeds exist, each claiming to be the “best,” the “optimum,” “your assurance of maximum performance” or featuring a slogan like “insurance for perfect health.”
Read More

Keeping It Clean

Mounted vacuum provides cheap alternative to messy shoeing rig
The mess in his rig at the end of the day can be unbearable for farrier Jeff Smuck of Alden, Iowa.
Read More
Vet's Corner

Getting Antibiotics To Where They're Most Needed

If you don't knock out the infection inside the hoof, all of your careful work on the hoof capsule and outer tissues can be wasted
Treating infections inside the equine hoof always represents a major problem. Horses are mostly affected by large amounts of bacterial contamination, necrotic tissues, fluid coming from the laminae or from the joints inside the hoof capsule.
Read More
Online With The Farriers' Forum

Helping Navicular Syndrome With Heel Height, Angles

Q: I’m currently working on a mare that has navicular syndrome. Her hoof capsule is in alignment with her pasterns and I have a wedge pad on her. The angles are at 54 degrees and she’s shown improvement since I’ve started working on her.I’ve found it difficult to raise her angle much more with a natural foot, but the owner insists that the hoof angles be raised. Can putting too much heel on this horse make her worse?
Read More

Could You Forge This Shoe in 12 Minutes?

Follow minute-by-minute as former reserve world champion blacksmith James Blurton forges a front pleasure shoe
Turning a bar of steel into a finished shoe in 12 minutes certainly takes plenty of forging skills and the ability to work fast.
Read More
Shop Talk

Plenty Of Lameness Topics On AAEP Convention Program

A variety of scientific presentations dealing with many aspects of footcare will be presented by veterinarians and researchers during the American Association of Equine Practitioners (AAEP) annual convention in San Diego, Calif.
Read More

Top Articles

Current Issue

View More

Current Issue

View More

Must Read Free Eguides

Download these helpful knowledge building tools

View More
Top Directory Listings