Disciplines & Breeds

Ray-Nager-1_BW.jpg

Racetrack Farrier Shares His Career Lessons

A commitment for forging horseshoes 6 days a week helped position Ray Nager for success
Although I’m still in good health at 78 years of age, I wouldn’t like to go back to earning a living shoeing horses, as it can be a back-breaking job. 
It can also be a dangerous job as I’ve suffered many a broken bone at the hands of a fractious horse or a careless horse handler. I’ve been stomped on, bit, run over and kicked with both barrels out through the side of a corner stall. Like many farriers, my list of nasty accidents is quite lengthy.
Read More
HISA Lawsuit
News & Notes

Horseracing Integrity and Safety Act Faces Another Federal Lawsuit

Oklahoma spearheads constitutional challenge of doping law
The legal challenges facing the Horseracing Safety and Integrity Act are mounting after a group consisting of two states, its racing commissions, two equine associations and a breeding farm filed a federal lawsuit alleging that the law is unconstitutional.
Read More

Research Journal: March 2021

“The information, ideas, and opinions expressed are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the United States Department of Agriculture."

Laminitis is the Most Common Reason for Horse Euthanasia

A 2-year prospective survey examined  the rate of euthanasia and factors associated with euthanasia among  1,070 horses and ponies in Great Britain. This analysis was part of a  larger study of laminitis that enrolled owners of healthy animals who  responded via a web-based survey. Most respondents owned one to three  animals for an average of about 7 years. Native pony breeds were most  common and while most owners (60%) reported their animals were in ideal  body condition, a third of the animals enrolled had a previous history  of laminitis.

Read More

Congratulations to the 2021 Hall of Fame Inductees

Horseshoer/educator and veterinarian researcher are selected by their peers for top honors

The International Horseshoeing Hall of Fame was established in 1992 to honor farriers around the world who have made significant contributions to the profession. The International Equine Veterinarian Hall of Fame was established in 1997 to honor veterinarians who have contributed to the knowledge and recognition of proper hoof care for horses. Current Hall of Fame members vote on inductees each year. A link to the nomination form can be found at AmericanFarriers.com/0321.

Read More

Top Articles

Current Issue

View More

Current Issue

View More

Must Read Free Eguides

Download these helpful knowledge building tools

View More
Top Directory Listings