Disciplines & Breeds

Dave Giza
News & Notes

Be Ready to Think Outside the Box

Virginia farrier Dave Giza shares his atypical approach in treating a difficult hoof-care case
Every now and then, farriers have to think outside the box when confronting multiple problems to restore the health of a horse's foot. Achilles was one of those horses that challenged farrier Dave Giza to be creative with hoof-care solutions. He had to meet unusual challenges with a unique support team, creative use of tools and new methods to reach a good end result.
Read More

Research Journal: March 2018

The information, ideas and opinions expressed are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the United States Department of Agriculture.
X-Rays And Cutting Horses Researchers examined presale radiographs of 343 Quarter Horses in training to identify lesions associated with the likelihood of competing in cutting events, the likelihood of earning money and the amount of money earned during their 3- and 4-year-old years.
Read More
iStock_000002168858Large_horseracing.jpg

Lessons from the Track

Veteran Thoroughbred and Standardbred farriers share some quick, important lessons they’ve honed over their careers
Before passing away in 2009, Ronald “Tex” Cauthen left a lasting legacy as a racetrack farrier. The Hall Of Fame shoer helped many farriers and veterinarians increase their skill and knowledge, allowing them to improve the hoof health of many horses on and off the racetrack.
Read More
IMG_5427.jpg

Keys To Succeed With Halter Horses

There are many factors that lead to improving your work as a halter horse farrier — some of them not specific to only this discipline
Throughout my life, I’ve raised and shown horses in multiple disciplines. It is still a big part of my life with my wife, Jana. Because of these experiences, I’ve become a better horseman, which has helped me improve as a farrier over 25 years in the trade.
Read More

Research Journal: January/February 2018

The information, ideas and opinions expressed are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the United States Department of Agriculture.
A cross-sectional study in England examined the accuracy of owners reporting laminitis in their horses and ponies. The objective was to determine the percentage of owner-reported cases of laminitis that were later confirmed by a veterinarian and to compare the owner’s observations of potential risk factors to the veterinarian’s observations.
Read More

Top Articles

Current Issue

View More

Current Issue

View More

Must Read Free Eguides

Download these helpful knowledge building tools

View More
Top Directory Listings