Business Practices

Professional Farriers Announce Formation Of Program To Assist Injured Or Ill Farriers

The American Association of Professional Farriers (AAPF) and Canadian Association of Professional Farriers (CAPF) Farriers Assistance Program is a grass roots program that allows our membership the ability to help take care of our own. This is a short-term program to assist members through tough times that may occur. There are three main functions of this program: networking, helping with work load while down and donations/fundraising. This program will allow the membership the ability to help fellow members no matter where they are located in a productive way.
Read More
2012 AAPF Hoofcare Essentials Clinic

[Video] How Farriers Are Coping In Today's Economy

American Farriers Journal Editor/Publisher Frank Lessiter met up with Nolan Walker (Norman, Okla.) at the 2012 Nature Farms Farrier Supply Clinic. In the following video, Walker talks about the business side of things in today's economy, and how the Oklahoma-area market is holding up under current economics.
Read More
Museum Tour With Lee Liles

[Video] The Early Days Of Shoeing Competitions And Conventions

In this video, museum director Lee Liles talks about Bruce Daniels, and reminisces about the earlier days of conventions and competitions. Begun as a private collection, the National Museum of Horse Shoeing Tools and Hall Of Honor (Sulphur, Okla.) features one-of-a-kind items and memorabilia that has been gathered over many years. Now, in one place is an unprecedented and never-before-seen collection that contains both the conventional and the unusual — the contemporary and the obsolete.
Read More
Pat Tearney
From the Desk of AFJ

It's a Simple Job Except When It's Not

Some thoughts on the K.I.S.S. method of farriery

I've heard a lot of farriers champion the so-called K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid) method for horseshoeing. But I've heard some of the same farriers then describe their "simple" system. It includes assessing the horse's conformation, age, work, environment, hoof-horn quality, hoof-wall thickness, sole type, frog health, past history, any current or recent lamnesses or problems, trainer requirements and rider needs and style.

Read More
Q&A

Scheduling Your Clients

How often do you see the horses on your books? What influences how often you see these horses for trimming/shoeing?
How often do you see the horses on your books? What influences how often you see these horses for trimming/shoeing?
Read More

Top Articles

Current Issue

View More

Current Issue

View More

Must Read Free Eguides

Download these helpful knowledge building tools

View More
Top Directory Listings