Equipment

Cold Water
New Technology

Cold Moving Water, Plus Salt, Equals Spa Therapy

More technically known as cold water hydrotherapy, the treatment hasn’t caught on in the United States yet, but it has elsewhere

Just in case one of your Web-surfing, world-traveling or horse show-attending clients raises the subject, let’s get up to speed on cold water hydrotherapy as an aid to equine hoof and leg health.

Read More
Farrier Innovations

Pinpointing P-3 During The Shoeing Cycle

California farrier says his scoring system provides valuable information for balance and breakover management
Breakover is a function of the equine foot. A chronic problem that we see in the clinic where I work is that the breakover of the hoof capsule is out of balance with the coffin bone at a given point in the shoeing cycle.
Read More
Clint Laybourn

Don't Look Twice, It's All Right

It looks like an ambulance, but this shoeing rig is now equipped to care for hooves, not people

Excuse the older folks who still pull to the side of the road when Clint Laybourn’s shoeing rig approaches from behind. Even without its emergency lights flashing, the truck still looks very much like the ambulance it once was.

Read More

Capewell Hits 125-Year Mark

Company’s long history is one of innovation, evolution and adaptation

The name would seem to say it all: Capewell Horsenails Inc. It doesn’t take a lot of imagination to see what has been the foundation of the company’s fortune.

Read More
Heart Bar Shoes

Being Careful With Heart Bar Shoes

Applied incorrectly, the heart bar shoe can go from a life-saving therapeutic aid to a damaging piece of equipment

When the duo of Burney Chapman and George Platt popularized the use of heart bar shoes for foundered and laminitic horses in the late 1960s, it set off a firestorm of innovations and design-styles for therapeutic horseshoes that reinvigorated the hoof-care industry.

Read More
Thomas Breningstallâ??s Bronco

Duct Tape and the Bronco

A shiny, new shoeing rig might make for pride and joy, but memories say an old beater can be much more than it’s cracked up to be

Back in 1976, when I decided I didn’t want to work for a living any longer, I decided to become a horseshoer and enrolled at Bob Reaume’s Wolverine Farriers School in Howell, Mich.

Read More

Top Articles

Current Issue

View More

Current Issue

View More

Must Read Free Eguides

Download these helpful knowledge building tools

View More
Top Directory Listings