Equipment

Measure
Tool Use

Underused Hoof Gauge Can Boost A Farrier’s Success

This low-tech tool offers an edge when it’s time to assess a hoof and determine the work to be done
Hoof gauges might rank among the most overlooked, underused tools in farriery. Yet high-quality hoof care starts with an accurate assessment of the foot, and these tools can assist even the keenest eyes of the most skilled and experienced farriers.
Read More
Bruce Lyle

Step On It!

High-tech pressure mat system gives this Texas veterinarian new information for evaluating and tailoring shoeing
Shoeing horses can be very challenging sometimes, especially with one of those horses that doesn’t go completely sound no matter what you try. You might find yourself studying all aspects of that horse’s mannerisms, his feet, your shoes and anything else to find that clue that will tell you what he really needs.
Read More

Common Sense, Regular Care Lengthen Tool Life

Farriers depend on their tools to help them make a living so keeping them on the job as long as possible makes good economic sense
To get longer life from your horseshoeing tools, you don't have to be an expert tool craftsman says Dan Bradley. The farrier from Lucerne, Miss., — who is such an expert craftsman — says extending tool life is largely a matter of paying attention to small details and following manufacturer's suggestions.
Read More
Tom Curl

Tom Curl’s Patch Rig

About half of Florida farrier Tom Curl’s work is patching quarter cracks, which doesn’t require a large rig and a full stock of shoes. And since he put about 48,000 miles on his last truck (a Chevrolet Suburban) last year, weight savings and gas mileage are significant concerns.

Read More

Online With the Farriers' Forum

Sometimes Taking your Best Shot Isn't the Wisest Course

I had a customer call me tonight asking about putting a hospital plate on a young horse that has an abscess. I have an idea that I need to fit a shoe and cut an aluminum plate to fit it, drill holes through the plate, drill holes in the shoe and tap them. I need to use bolts in holes — careful not to go through to hoof. Do I have all of this right?

Read More
California farrier

Taking Draft Horse Trimming to a New Plane

California farrier improves his efficiency by trimming feet with a powered carpenter’s planer
When Pablo Calderon, a farrier from Riverside, Calif., started thinking about a more efficient way of trimming the hooves of draft horses, he drew on his knowledge of horsemanship as well as that of an area that would seem totally unrelated to draft horses — his trade as a machinist.
Read More
 Ric Redden

Three Rigs, One System, No Missteps

A place for everything and everything in its place, plus workstations on wheels, make for maximum efficiency with minimum effort
If you think organizing one shoeing rig is a challenge, consider the late Red Renchin. He used three pickup trucks for shoeing: A Ford F250 and two Ford F350s. The oldest is vintage 2001, the newest is a 2007.
Read More

Top Articles

Current Issue

View More

Current Issue

View More

Must Read Free Eguides

Download these helpful knowledge building tools

View More
Top Directory Listings