Diseases

Pedal-Osteiteis-1.jpg
Vet's Corner

Treating Pedal Osteitis and Founder

This veterinarian/farrier says it’s important to act early to prevent this painful condition
Over the last 14 years, I’ve been working as a veterinarian and horseshoer on many kinds of lameness cases including founder and laminitis.
Read More

That One Little Spot!

Here’s what four perceptive readers had to say about the small spot found on the toe of the hoof shown on the July/August cover
I see lots of these problems with the toe that’s on the cover of the July/ August issue of American Farriers Journal. I have a hard time explaining them and getting rid of the “spot.”
Read More

Understanding Soft Tissue Mechanics

New information on this topic indicates it may be time for farriers to change treatments for suspensory ligament desmitis
One of the most common veterinarian-diagnosed, soft-tissue problems in performance horses is suspensory ligament desmitis (SLD).
Read More
Battling Laminitis

Crucial Care For Sound Footing

English farrier reviews the progression of this dreaded disease
Laminitis is never a minor thing. We should have etched in our minds that laminitis is a debilitating, crippling disease which causes extreme pain and distress to horses and, in all cases, should be treated as a clinical emergency.
Read More

Tackling Navicular

As word spreads about new ways to treat navicular disease, farriers and veterinarians around the world are making changes in treatment programs
When it comes to the best options for dealing with navicular disease, Bernard Duvernay obtained some interesting ideas by surveying farriers and veterinarians around the world.
Read More
Heart Bars Revisited

Drugs Vs. Heart Bars For Treating Founder

Specializing in laminitis work, this equine vet has not used bute on a foundered horse for 20 years
Having used the heart bar shoe successfully for many years and having worked closely with deceased Texas farrier Burney Chapman on it, I feel qualified to speak about its merits in the treatment of laminitis.
Read More

Shop Talk

Farrier Science Clinic, Buckeye Nutrition Form Strategic Alliance
A program aimed at expanding the marketing and distribution of Nu-Foot Concentrate and Fungidye antifungal products has been announced by Buckeye Nutrition and Farrier Science Clinic. Founded in 1910, Buckeye Nutrition offers worldwide distribution of specialty animal feeds.
Read More
Book Notes

Dispel The Myths Surrounding Laminitis

Allen Photographic Guides—All About Laminitis
Most people know at least one horse or pony that has suffered from laminitis. It’s an all too common condition causing much pain and suffering and there are many myths associated with it.
Read More

Top Articles

Current Issue

View More

Current Issue

View More

Must Read Free Eguides

Download these helpful knowledge building tools

View More
Top Directory Listings