Trimming

Farrier Tips

Have a Plan When You Trim

Even when not shod, just about every horse will have its feet trimmed throughout the year. Developing an efficient trimming technique is essential. There are many ways to trim a foot.
Read More

Forestville Interpretive Program Shows Farrier's Services

"They get new shoes every six to eight weeks if they're used for riding a fair bit. The shoes are for traction, support and protection," said Cresco farrier Jarred Lund, speaking to visitors at Historic Forestville's new "New Shoes for Horses" interpretive program last Saturday as he inspected, filed and shod a horse as part of a demonstration meant to illustrate what is necessary to fit horseshoes to horses, animals which were the main source of transportation in 1899.

Read More

Farrier's Roundtable

Q: Are some horses very flat-footed naturally, or is a flat sole a sign of some other problem? Are there times when I should take out more sole to make a flat foot more concave and other times when I shouldn’t? What guidelines should I use?
Read More
164_SFL_Sean-Travers_JM_0513.jpg
Shoeing for a Living

Enhancing What Comes Naturally

Rhode Island farrier Sean Travers’ practice is built on attention to detail and addressing challenges so that his clients’ Morgan horses can shine
Each breed or discipline can make a convincing argument that it has the most passionate following among its devotees.
Read More
DSC_0028.jpg

Plenty to Do with 600 Horses to Shoe

Coming off winter pasture, there’s little time to trim and shoe the feet on these horses before they’re leased for summer work
For more than 50 years — over 2 days in early May — Colorado's Sombrero Ranch has moved hundreds of horses that winter on Bureau of Land Management ground.
Read More

Top Articles

Current Issue

View More

Current Issue

View More

Must Read Free Eguides

Download these helpful knowledge building tools

View More
Top Directory Listings