Trimming

Thoughts On Medial-Lateral Balance

Colorado farrier Jim Quick shares food for thought on trimming and shoeing for a balanced foot
If you go to a Jim Quick clinic expecting him to dictate how you should shoe a horse, you’re at the wrong clinic. Instead, the Niwot, Colo., farrier says his purpose is to not give instructions to tell other farriers how to shoe, but to share his thoughts on how he does the job. Quick did just that at Bruce Daniels Memorial Clinic in early April when he suggested points of consideration regarding medial-lateral balance.
Read More
Crawford
Shoeing For A Living

Finding Success In Simplicity

Organization, tough choices and hard work help Missouri farrier to excel
Keep it simple. It’s a popular adage, particularly among farriers. Ironically enough, keeping it simple isn’t really simple at all. Simplicity is the result of organization, tough choices and hard work. Yet, once it’s achieved, the rewards are plentiful.
Read More
News & Notes

Hall Of Fame Farrier Recalls Her Past For Elyria Woman’s Club

Ada Gates Patton hails from a family whose roots include Elyria as well as cousins named Vanderbilt and Frick. Yet a life that included growing up as a debutante among the high society of Long Island, N.Y., modeling and acting, and a second career as a nationally known farrier have done nothing to diminish her deep affection for, and ties to, Elyria.
Read More
Sheared heels

Taking The Load Off Sheared Heels

Understand what is happening, why it’s happening and how severe the problem is before forming a plan
Working in tandem, pressure and time can wreak a lot of havoc. In geology, over time pressure turns sediment to rock, coal to diamond and can create mountains. Pressure in relation to the equine foot can create mountains, too - mountains of problems. One of those problems can be corrected quite nicely, particularly if caught early.
Read More
Red Flags for Farriers

Recognize Improper Shoe Fit and Size

Reviewing these subtle signs will serve as a reminder for providing each horse with the best possible shoe fit
Before I wrote this article, I thought it would be a quick write up with pictures of poorly fitted shoes and correctly fitted shoes. As I began typing, I quickly realized how many factors are essential for a properly fitted shoe and how many "red flags" about improper fit can pop up.
Read More

Top Articles

Current Issue

View More

Current Issue

View More

Must Read Free Eguides

Download these helpful knowledge building tools

View More
Top Directory Listings