Lots Of Hoof-Care Product Purchases
The typical full-time farrier purchases $21,683 in basic footcare supplies in a year’s time.
— 2020 American Farriers Journal Business Practices survey
10 Ways Horse Owners Can Improve Hoof Health
Horse owners can have a great influence on the health of their horse’s hoof. Good quality hooves make the farrier’s life easier and, most importantly, the horse’s life better. These include:
- Regular and scheduled hoof-care from a professional.
- Clean out stall bedding daily.
- Well-drained turnout areas lead to better quality hoof horn.
- Wood shavings used as bedding keeps hoof horn at an optimum level.
- Clean and dry the hooves after exercise.
- Ensure that your farrier has a nationally recognized qualification.
- A well-balanced diet produces strong hoof horn.
- Treat thrush immediately and persist until it is gone.
- When breeding, investigate the hooves of both parents.
- Show your hoof care professional that you take an interest in the hooves of your horses.
— Simon Curtis, Newmarket, England
Friday's Farrier Facts & Figures is brought to you by the International Hoof-Care Summit: Virtual Clinic Series.
The International Hoof-Care Summit — 2021 Virtual Clinic Series will deliver practical, ongoing education to accommodate the busy farrier’s schedule through an online learning experience featuring an unprecedented series of Virtual Clinic presentations released throughout 8 months during 2021.