This page lists material that supplements the March 2019 issue of American Farriers Journal.
Shoeing For A Living
- Gain more hoof-care insight by: Reading about the golden ratio method taught by Steve Kraus at Cornell University.
- Reading advice from Virginia farrier Darren Owen about the use of magnets and shoeing in wet climates.
(Supplement to "Building Upon A Strong Foundation" on page 26.)
- Reading “Recognize Subtle Signs of Horse Discomfort.”
- Reading “Where Does the Problem Originate?”
- Watching “Evaluating the Horse Before the Trim.”
- Watching “Educating the Client on Expectations.”
(Supplement to "Correct or Mintain" on page 36.)
- Reading “Why Equine Bones Break and Tendons Rupture.”
- Watching “Footing Considerations for Show Farriers.”
- Watching “Providing Support and Alleviating Pain in the Suspensory Ligament.”
(Supplement to "How Ground Surfaces Influence Performance" on page 40.)
Halls Of Fame
(Supplement to "6 Honored for Lifetime Hoof-Car" on page 52.)
(Supplement to "Step-By-Step System for Using Radiographs to Plan Shoeing" on page 60.)
Mail-In Forging Exercise
(Supplement to "Summit Concave Challenge Won by World Champion" on page 64.)
- Watching his Michigan Horseshoers Association presentation.
- Listening to an American Farriers Journal Podcast featuring the horseshoer and innovator.
(Supplement to "BEWARE: Radiographs Can Lie To You" on page 66.)
- "Hoof Care for the Nervous Horse.”
- Reading “How to Read a New Horse.”
- Reading “Basics of Horsemanship for the Farrier.”
- Reading “How Reading the Horse Can Make Your Job Easier.”
(Supplement to "Reading a Horse and its Owner" on page 72.)
(Supplement to "Shoeing Options for Club Feet" on page 82.)
Wealth Management and Insurance
- Read “Understand the 4 Facets of Wealth Management.”
- Read “Don’t Wait to Begin Planning Your Future.”
- Read "It's Not If — But When — Farrier Accidents Happen.”
(Supplement to "Avoid These 3 Common Insurance Mistakes" on page 82.)
(Supplement to "Horseshoeing Museum Finds a New Home" on page 85.)