Education

Research Journal

Bone scans have proven effective in identifying the source of pain in many difficult-to-diagnose lameness cases. Because foot lameness is frequently bilateral, comparing the intensity of uptake between left and right limbs to identify “hot spots” — as is typically done — can be misleading.
Read More
Online With The Farriers' Forum

Long Toe-Low Heel Debate

Our local vet recently attended a symposium on the long toe and low heel syndrome (LTLH) and this is what she had to say to the local farriers in the area:

Read More
Chuck Wagon

Shoeing The Chucks

Chuck wagon horses are shod for speed, but best of all, owners store an inventory of $11,000 worth of shoes and nails for this veteran farrier

When Harold Chapin needs shoes or nails for any of the more than 150 chuck wagon horses that he shoes, he doesn’t walk out to his pickup truck to get them.

Read More

Cultivating Competency

An American Farrier’s Association function is “...to inform the public, and particularly the horse owner, of a quality and standard of service to which he or she is entitled...”

As early as 1356, farriers joined together to better themselves and their trade.

Read More
Frankly Speaking

Is The Craft Of Horseshoeing Developing A Generation Gap?

It's no secret that farriers are considered a pretty handy lot. Besides their horseshoeing skills, it’s not unusual for farriers to be able to make and repair their own tools, forge decorative ironwork, build, modify and repair their own shoeing rigs and to have a few special gadgets in the workshop that they built themselves.
Read More

Farriers' Roundtable

“Can you have too much sole on a foundered horse?” —New Mexico Farrier
Since the question is regarding a foundered horse, I will assume that it is beyond laminitis and the third phalanx has rotated.
Read More
wives

Saying "I Do" To A Farrier

Take a peek into the lives of farrier wives

“I do” are the traditional words said at a wedding ceremony. But for a farrier’s wife, those loving words should really be, “I will do:” 

Read More
Book Notes

Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Lameness

There's one thing farriers can all agree upon when it comes to lameness in horses — it’s a very complicated subject. While some books barely scratch the surface on lameness, others delve deep into the convoluted details of what could make a horse lame.
Read More

Top Articles

Current Issue

View More

Current Issue

View More

Must Read Free Eguides

Download these helpful knowledge building tools

View More
Top Directory Listings