Education

Research Journal

A case series of 27 horses with navicular syndrome treated by extracorporeal shock wave therapy was reviewed with comparisons of pre- and post-treatment lameness and radiographic scores. Most horses in the study were Quarter Horses and the median duration of lameness was 12 months. Follow-up was obtained at 6 and 12 months after treatment.
Read More
Spotlight
Local Association Spotlight

Understand Metallurgy, Improve Your Forging Skills

Dennis Manning demonstrates benefits of knowing how your stock works
Dennis Manning of Roosevelt, Utah, has a well-earned reputation as a horseshoer, blacksmith and toolmaker. One of the reasons for that reputation is his understanding of the science behind those crafts, as he demonstrated during a clinic at Dave Ferguson’s Mint Vale Forge in Cambridge, Md., late last year.
Read More
Online With the Farriers’ Forum

Farrier Business Software

I’ve decided that my Palm Pilot’s become too limiting for planning and revising my schedule, so I’m looking to buy a laptop and some better business software. Which leads to my question: What do you use for scheduling and billing, and most importantly, what don’t you like about what you’re using? I’d like to know the high points of the software as well, but am really interested in the “holes” and limitations that I may run into.

Read More
Melissa Voigt

First Years Can Be Tough Ones

Novice farrier touts the benefits of
Late in 2003, I began my journey into the exciting world of horseshoeing. The school I chose to attend was a very reputable one, that offered 2-, 12- and 16-week courses. I chose the 16-week course, thinking that would be plenty of time to learn everything there is to know about horseshoeing.
Read More

Shop Talk

Farriers, Vets Encouraged To Form Research Project Alliances

To encourage a stronger working relationship between veterinarians and farriers, a new footcare research project has been announced by the equine research committee of the American Farrier’s Association.

Read More

Briefings

French equine veterinarian Philippe Benoit says one of the keys to dealing with situations that require opening up the heels is to promote proper heel expansion. He told attendees at the 21st annual Farriers Conference at Cornell University that one way to do this is by trimming the edges of the frog with a hoof knife to open the edges in a narrow V-cut, even cutting the bars. Benoit believes there can be problems with a loop knife or a hoof knife with a hooked blade, since you may not get deep enough to allow the heels to expand. He uses a straight knife.
Read More
Spotlight-1.jpg
Local Association Spotlight

Cornell Honors Its Horseshoeing Tradition

Displays celebrate school’s farriers of the past and the present
Cornell University’s heritage and tradition of advancing farriery is one of the truly great ones among American institutions of higher learning.
Read More

Top Articles

Current Issue

View More

Current Issue

View More

Must Read Free Eguides

Download these helpful knowledge building tools

View More
Top Directory Listings