Education

Guild President Rejects Proposal

Heymering believes control of farriers is at stake, and that hoof-care decisions are best left to individuals
From 1915 to 1981, Illinois was I believe the first of only two or three states to have a licensing requirement for farriers. One of the requirements for a license was having completed a 3-year apprenticeship. Most farriers I spoke with who were affected by the licensing law had nothing good to say about it. They felt that it was unfairly applied and discriminatory. If you were friends with the examiner and/or they needed more farriers at that time, you had a much easier time of passing the test and being licensed than if you were not friends with the examiner or if they did not need more farriers — no matter how good you were.
Read More

U.K. Farriers See Benefits From 30 Years Of Licensing

Shoers there offer generally favorable comments about the results of the law
Farrier licensing adopted in the United Kingdom 30 years ago boosted the careers of shoers there, according to Simon Curtis, a prominent U.K. farrier who often speaks at conferences and clinics in the United States.
Read More

Schools Give Survey A Mixed Reception

Spot check of reaction to AFA survey plan finds university-based farrier programs endorse the effort, while private schools will open their doors, sometimes warily
There are more than 60 horseshoeing schools in the U.S. and Canada, so it would be risky to predict their general reaction to the planned American Farrier's Association survey based on the comments of a few. Just as telling, perhaps, is that several smaller schools did not return phone calls requesting their opinion on the subject.
Read More

Some Chattanooga AFA Highlights

DURING THE American Farrier’s Association annual convention in Chattanooga, Tenn., in late February, members re-elected Bob Earle of Chino Valley, Ariz., as vice president and Walt Taylor of Albuquerque, N.M., as treasurer.

Read More

AFA Will Review Farrrier Schools Nationwide

American Farrier’s Association proposal eyes minimum curriculum standards and could grow to uniform testing for new farriers, registration for all horseshoers

Pointing to a need for increased professionalism and catching its own board of directors by surprise, the Executive Committee of the American Farrier’s Association and a task force it quietly created have proposed standardized education, testing and registration of farriers nationwide.

Read More

Pride In the Profession

Seventh Annual National Farriers Week Offers Well-Deserved Recognition of the Shoeing Industry

By the time July hits, odds are that you’ve been working long hours at a fast pace since spring.

Read More

Briefings

During more than 30 years of shoeing, Red Renchin of Mequon, Wis., has developed a unique approach that has helped him build a thriving practice that includes many high end hunters and jumpers.

Read More
Online With The Farriers Forum

Should Farriers Lease Their Work Space?

One of the most important - yet often overlooked - aspects of shoeing, is the dangerous and difficult working conditions that farriers must endure. Of all the barns I've ever worked at, only two have made any effort to install the safety improvements I requested! At one large barn, I played electrician (since nobody else would) to install badly needed lighting for an area I often worked in. I received no assistance in this effort. In fact, while I was doing this electrical work, the 'jefe' was working on the barn-owner's sailboat.
Read More

Top Articles

Current Issue

View More

Current Issue

View More

Must Read Free Eguides

Download these helpful knowledge building tools

View More
Top Directory Listings