Equipment

Pocket Anvil
Farrier Innovations

Shaping Shoes With Leverage And Less Strain

The Pocket Anvil and Shoemaster strive to find a place on more farrier rigs

The Pocket Anvil Shoe Shaper isn’t exactly a new product — it’s been around for more than two decades — but Janet Bernson, who manufactures and markets the device with her partner, Max Middleton, think it is a tool that may become more popular as horseshoers age and look for new ways to save wear and tear on their bodies.

Read More
Hammer and Fire
Tool Use

Forging Hammer Control: Deliver A Big Impact With The Least Effort

Understanding how the weight and face of your hammer interact can help you hit your target with the most force and the greatest of ease
As a farrier and a blacksmith by trade, I have done extensive research on hand-held forging hammers, as well as hammer techniques and control. My information has come from many different teachers and, of course, many more hours of forging.
Read More
Farrier Innovations

Look, Ma! No Hammer!

Shoe-bending machines, careful record keeping and keen observation result in a system that’s a big time and energy saver

Just in case you haven’t noticed, shoeing horses is a lot of hard work. If you let it, the job will break you down and wear you out. Being a practical person, I have — from the beginning of my career — sought ways to preserve my body by making the job as easy as possible.

Read More
Eric Cox
Tool Use

Keep Your Forge Efficient By Replacing The Liner

Time is money, so waiting for an inefficient forge to heat horseshoes adequately can hit you right in the wallet. Prevent that from happening with this step-by-step process

Unless you’re into keg shoes and cold shoeing exclusively, you’ll need to replace your forge liner sooner or later. For the inexperienced, the job might seem more challenging than a draft horse with an attitude problem.

Read More
Product Focus

Get Your Tools Off The Ground

Regardless of the style of toolbox you use, organization is the key to being efficient and safe

When I began shoeing, many farriers made many of the tools and equipment they used. Some of this resourcefulness came from a spirit of self-reliance and creativity, but many times it was really about saving money for a young shoer just getting into the business.

Read More
Product Focus

Watch Your Back

If your toolbox is not both farrier and horse friendly, it’s not doing the job you need it to do

When it comes to protecting both yourself and the horse you’re working on, there are some serious safety issues to consider when selecting the toolbox that best fits your practice. To protect their backs and to get early warning signals that the horse behind them may be ready to make a dangerous move, more farriers are looking closer at the advantages of using a taller toolbox equipped with wheels.

Read More
Product Knowledge

Unsticking the Doubts About Hoof Adhesives

Knowing the properties of the available glues can help farriers make the right choices for effective, lasting glue-on shoes and hoof repairs

The arrival of horseshoe glues and hoof-repair materials more than 30 years ago revolutionized the centuries-old practice of farriery for shoers who dared take a chance on the materials. Adhesives replaced nails on many thin-walled or diseased hooves, and epoxy putties, as they were sometimes called, made rebuilding a foot possible in ways never before imagined.

Read More
Don Tritz
Farrier Innovations

A Blow Dryer for the Hoof

Hoof Doc system useful for quick drying of hooves as well as long-term maintenance of moisture content

When Don Tritz, a farrier from Genoa City, Wis., got tired of dealing with wet hooves a few years ago, he started looking around the barns he was shoeing at to see if there was anything that might help him out.

Read More
Product Knowledge

Farrier-Developed Software Records Visual Documentation

Photo histories become convenient, video can be slowed to reveal gait problems to the human eye, helping farriers gain owners’ support as horses grow sounder

As the world of horse care becomes more technical, clients expect more and more from farriers. Many farriers have begun using digital pictures and videos to document changes in a horse’s shoeing, lameness and performance. How do farriers educate their clients when it comes to these concerns?

Read More

Top Articles

Current Issue

View More

Current Issue

View More

Must Read Free Eguides

Download these helpful knowledge building tools

View More
Top Directory Listings