Therapeutic Shoeing

Holly Kuchera

Gaining Advantage

Farriers get an edge from knowing how quarter cracks form—beware hoof wall stress and poor conformation

Talking about quarter cracks, equine veterinarian and farrier Stephen O’Grady says, “There are a lot of different causes. Some we don’t fully understand.

Read More
Heart Bar Shoes

Being Careful With Heart Bar Shoes

Applied incorrectly, the heart bar shoe can go from a life-saving therapeutic aid to a damaging piece of equipment

When the duo of Burney Chapman and George Platt popularized the use of heart bar shoes for foundered and laminitic horses in the late 1960s, it set off a firestorm of innovations and design-styles for therapeutic horseshoes that reinvigorated the hoof-care industry.

Read More
Ambrose Gordon

Modifying Keg Shoes: Special Cases Call for Special Measures

San Antonio area farrier makes the case for thinking outside the box and why you should keep your iron-working skills fine tuned

Ambrose Gordon, a farrier from Kerrville, Texas, located just outside of San Antonio, regularly does therapeutic shoeing work with veterinarian and boarded equine surgeon David Dutton from Hill Country Equine Clinic in Borney, Tex.

Read More

52 Tips, Tricks and Techniques That Can Lead to Better Hoof Care

Check out these practical ideas from a half dozen equine vets who are into footcare in a big way
Along with numerous scientific papers that were presented during the 2005 American Association of Equine Practitioners meeting, three informal table topic sessions zeroed in on everyday ideas aimed at providing practical answers to footcare concerns .
Read More
Sigafoos Series

Glue-On Alternatives Still Work

Glue-on cuffs, adaptor pads, therapeutic kits remain a viable option for shoers

Despite the advancements in today’s adhesives, acrylics and other types of materials that can be used to build up and repair damaged feet, there are still a wide variety of other options out there that can help fill a farrier’s specific needs.

Read More

Research Journal

Although many factors associated with catastrophic injury, including horseshoe characteristics, have been explored in the past, it remains unclear if these links are really causal and how they may be inter-related.

Read More

Online With The Farriers' Forum

Advice On Shoeing Racehorses

Q: I recently had a new client contact me who has racing Quarter Horses and he wants them shod with race plates. I don’t have any experience with racehorses and racing plates. I imagine they’re shod the same way — by making sure the foot is balanced and level — followed by putting the shoe on.

Read More

Top Articles

Current Issue

View More

Current Issue

View More

Must Read Free Eguides

Download these helpful knowledge building tools

View More
Top Directory Listings