Anatomy

Farrier Tips

How To Evaluate Foal Limb Deformities

In most cases, it’s fairly easy to determine that a foal’s legs are crooked when observing the limbs while standing in front of the horse. Yet, that’s not the correct manner in which to examine it, according to Cornell University Equine Hospital veterinarian Norm Ducharme.
Read More

Give the Frog Proper Attention

Illinois farrier spends a lot of time examining and trimming the frog, and for good reason
What consideration do you give to trimming the frog? “I think we overlook it,” Danville, Ill., farrier Steve Sermersheim told attendees at the D.L. Schwartz Farrier Supply clinic in October. “I used to overlook it. I would just trim the frog and go on.”
Read More
Eddy_Strommen_JC_LP3_8869.jpg
Q&A

What are you looking for when you watch a horse walk/trot prior to shoeing? How does the horse’s job factor into your gait analysis?

A: On routine visits where I have a prior history with the horse, the first thing I ask the client is how has the horse been traveling/going? Has there been anything different? Is there something that should be discussed that would require jogging the horse? If everything is normal, then I do not jog the horse.
Read More

Q&A: Gait Analysis

Q: What are you looking for when you watch a horse walk/trot prior to shoeing? How does the horse’s job factor into your gait analysis?
What are you looking for when you watch a horse walk/trot prior to shoeing? How does the horse’s job factor into your gait analysis?
Read More

Top Articles

Current Issue

View More

Current Issue

View More

Must Read Free Eguides

Download these helpful knowledge building tools

View More
Top Directory Listings