What Are The Major Health Concerns With Foals?
This data reported the percentage of equine operations facing different health issues with foals from birth to 6 months of age during 2015:
- 10.0% of the operations were faced with injury, wound or trauma concerns with foals.
- 7.2% of the operations dealt with lameness, leg or hoof problems.
- 7.2% of the operations dealt with digestive concerns such as diarrhea.
- 4.2% of the operations had foals with respiratory concerns, such as pneumonia or strangles.
- 2.9% of the operations had colic worries.
- 2.7% of the operations had eye concerns with one or more foals.
- 1.4% of the operations dealt with skin problems with foals.
- 0.9% had behavioral problems that were unusual, affected the animal’s use or involved foal safety.
- 0.1% of the operations dealt with reproductive tract concerns in foals.
— Changes in the U.S. Equine Industry Report, 1998-2015, U.S. Department of Agriculture
There’s A Good Footcare Market Working With Older Horses
- Over 20% of the horse population in the U.S. is over the age of 15.
- One out of every three horse owners has a senior horse.
- Senior horse owners who don’t compete usually own several horses that are over 15 years old.
— Laurie Cerny of www.equineseniors.com
Friday's Farrier Facts & Figures is brought to you by Markel Insurance.
Markel Corporation (NYSE – MKL) is a holding company for insurance, reinsurance, and investment operations around the world. Headquartered in Richmond, Virginia and founded in 1930, Markel reports its ongoing underwriting operations in three segments, and products originate from four insurance divisions and one reinsurance division. Markel Ventures, a subsidiary that makes strategic investments in companies outside of the insurance marketplace, is another important component of our business.
In each of our businesses, we seek to deliver innovative products and responsive customer service so that we can be a market leader. Our time horizon is long-term, our underwriting approach is disciplined, and our focus is on continuously improving the quality of the customer experience. Our financial goals are to earn consistent underwriting and operating profits and to combine those profits with superior investment returns to build shareholder value.