Hoof-Care 101

10 Traits Of Top Farriers

Growing up, I spent a lot of time around the world's best farriers as they came to our home and were trained by my father, Dr. Doug Butler. I was able to work side-by-side with many of them as they became master craftsmen and learned the fundamentals of farriery. I also have worked and consulted with farriers from around the world.
Read More
DSC_2325.jpg

Know What It Costs You To Trim And Shoe

While a new farrier’s top priority is the care of hooves, you’ve got to be equally concerned with earning a living and dealing with the numerous business aspects of the profession. This means knowing what it really costs you to trim and shoe horses.
Read More
cover

Continuing Education Is A Farrier’s Lifeline

The definition of continuing education is as it reads - there's no mystery there. Farriery is a lifelong endeavor, but sadly there are many farriers who believe that once they can trim or nail a shoe on a horse, they are done learning. Nothing could be further from the truth. Trimming a hoof, shaping a shoe and nailing it on are just the beginning. Only then are you ready to really start learning.
Read More

Health Hazards of Hoof Care

Farriers are aware that theirs is a potentially hazardous occupation. Anytime a significant part of the workday is spent standing underneath animals that can weigh well over 1,000 pounds, while picking up one of its feet, there's obviously a chance that something could go wrong.
Read More

Tips for Working with Different Disciplines

When you finish with school, you may want to dabble with a variety of horses and disciplines, working under experts in the fields and also learning from your own mistakes. However, you may eventually find a specific discipline or breed that you want to focus your practice on.
Read More

Top Articles

Current Issue

View More

Current Issue

View More

Must Read Free Eguides

Download these helpful knowledge building tools

View More
Top Directory Listings