Nutrition

cover
YOU AND YOUR HORSE’S FEET

Hoof Supplements: Feeding the Foot

Diet has an important role in hoof health, but feed changes alone won’t solve all potential problems
What you feed your horse affects hoof health, but some horse owners take this concept too far. They fall into the trap of thinking they can resolve any hoof problem by feeding hoof supplements.
Read More
DSC_3325.jpg

Balanced Diet Leads to Healthy Hooves

Much like the canary in the coal mine that identifies a dangerous situation, nutrient deficiencies often show up in the hoof wall and sole growth before they’re readily observed in the rest of the horse
Their show hunter, the owners tell you, pulls its head to one side, fights with the rider and has straightness issues. As you examine the horse, you find excessive wear on the left toe.
Read More
Online Hoof-Care Classrooms

Hoof Nutrition: Food for Thought

This webinar discusses important factors about nutrition that can dramatically improve or deter hoof health and growth, highlighting useful information to help you in the field. The purpose of the information is not to make you a nutritional expert, but to give you the ability to know when nutritional issues could be present and you can direct your client to seek assistance. [To view any of our webinar replays, you must be logged in with a free user account.]
Read More
Frank Lessiter
From The Desk Of AFJ

Hooves, Fingernails, Hair Loss And More

Knowing that biotin is used to improve hoof quality and hoof growth, it got me thinking about the benefits of biotin for humans. Doing some research, I learned the benefits of humans taking biotin is based on earlier work with horses.
Read More

The Importance Of Nutrition To The Equine Foot

The equine foot is a miracle of engineering and a design that is unique in the animal kingdom. Other ungulates (animals that walk on their toes) have shock absorbing mechanisms ranging from a cloven hoof to the very soft and cushiony foot of an elephant, camel, rhino, etc.
Read More
2013 International Hoof-Care Summit

[Video] Lecture Preview: Brian Hampson

IHCS Speaker Brian Hampson of the Australia Brumby Research Unit gives us a sneak peek into what he'll be presenting over the course of three presentations at the 2013 International Hoof-Care Summit that will cover the hoof health of the Brumby, Australia's feral horse.
Read More
Fetlock-and-Pastern.jpg

Passing The Club Foot Exam

Not all club feet are the same, so understanding grading systems can help you better determine how best to help a particular foal with this all-too-common problem
I was curious to see if club feet in horses was a topic of interest to the horse-owning public. I Googled it and came up with over 42,000 hits.
Read More

Top Articles

Current Issue

View More

Current Issue

View More

Must Read Free Eguides

Download these helpful knowledge building tools

View More
Top Directory Listings