Therapeutic Shoeing

Pad Choice

Pads for Therapeutic Use

Useful tools in cases of injured or sore horses

During a presentation at the 2006 International Hoof-Care Summit, Blake Brown discussed using various hoof pads in therapeutic situations. Here’s some of what he had to say.

Read More
Therapeutic Hoof Care

Learning the Tools of the Trade

Sound principles, craftsmanship and technology are the basics to success in this challenging work

For many farriers, the first exposure to a therapeutic shoeing situation comes unexpectedly. They arrive at a barn — perhaps after a frantic phone call from a client — and find a horse who has suffered an injury.

Read More
Vet's Corner

Managing Quarter Cracks

There’s more to dealing with these defects than just patching them — you need to identify and correct the cause as well

Quarter cracks are a common type of hoof capsule defect. Quarter cracks often cause foot lameness and/or decreased athletic performance in race and sport horses. They typically originate at the coronary band in the quarter of the hoof and progress distally

Read More

Shoeing for Founder

This case deals with a seriously dropped sole, damaged hoof wall and pedal bone
I started working on Refreshing Pause (referred to here as RP) in February of 2002. She was a special horse, since she helped me find ways to assist other horses with similar problems. While RP was not my first foundered horse, she's the worst founder case that I've encountered in terms of capsular damage.
Read More
Jumper

The Right Time and Place for Corrective Shoes

When horses return to work or to the show ring, a farrier must carefully evaluate the effect of continued use of therapeutic shoes
There are almost as many types of shoes as there are horses to wear them. Available in different weights, sizes and shapes, they're also made from a variety of materials, including steel, aluminum, synthetics, titanium and even rawhide.
Read More
Cover
Shoeing for a Living

Rood & Riddle Podiatry: Up From Humble Beginnings

Return trip to Lexington equine practice finds big changes in 6 years
Our “Shoeing For A Living Days” rarely start at noon. But a couple of cancellations at the Podiatry Shop at Rood & Riddle Equine Hospital in Lexington, Ky., where I’d been scheduled to spend the day, led to a phone message at my hotel suggesting I wait until then to make my appearance.
Read More

Top Articles

Current Issue

View More

Current Issue

View More

Must Read Free Eguides

Download these helpful knowledge building tools

View More
Top Directory Listings