Q&As

Q&A

New Location

If you have moved or were to move to a new location, how would you go about establishing your new practice? Would you begin working on this prior to your arrival?
Read More
Q&A

Tools and Supplies

Do you pack more than you need just in case or is your farrier rig lightly packed? How do you maintain the inventory for your farrier practice?
Read More
Q&A

Backing Up the Toe

We hear a lot about “backing up the toe.” How would you actually define this? When does a toe need to be backed up?
We hear a lot about “backing up the toe.” How would you actually define this? When does a toe need to be backed up?
Read More
Q&A

Client Questions

What are some of the best or oddest questions you've received as a farrier?
We conducted a survey with the readers of American Farriers Journal's weekly e-newsletter in which we asked farriers what are the most frequent questions that they receive from novice backyard horse owners. The 103 farriers who contributed to this survey have a combined average of 66% of backyard horses on their books. Here are all of the questions by novice horse owners, ranked in order of frequency in the survey.
Read More
Q&A

Changes

What was the best change you introduced to your practice in 2012? Was is something with how you treat hoof care or how you run your business?
What was the best change you introduced to your practice in 2012? Was is something with how you treat hoof care or how you run your business?
Read More
Q&A

Backyard Horses

What is the common hoof-care problem you find with your backyard horses? What do you attribute these problems to?
What is the common hoof-care problem you find with your backyard horses? What do you attribute these problems to?
Read More
Q&A

Burnout

Have you ever experienced burnout from your work as a farrier? How did you combat this?
Have you ever experienced burnout from your work as a farrier? How did you combat this?
Read More
Q&A

Disagreements

A horse you work with regularly has gone lame. The veterinarian has prescribed a shoeing application that I feel won't help the horse. How should I approach this situation?
A horse you work with regularly has gone lame. The veterinarian has prescribed a shoeing application that I feel won't help the horse. How should I approach this situation?
Read More
Q&A

Client Concerns

A new client calls 2 days after you trim/shoe the horse. The client says that the horse is now sore, then asks what did you do to the horse. How do you handle this situation?
A new client calls 2 days after you trim/shoe the horse. The client says that the horse is now sore, then asks what did you do to the horse. How do you handle this situation?
Read More

Top Articles

Current Issue

View More

Current Issue

View More

Must Read Free Eguides

Download these helpful knowledge building tools

View More
Top Directory Listings