Who Makes Up The Customer Base For Farriers?

Women make up 89% of the customer base for the typical farrier while men account for the remaining 11% of footcare clients.

— American Horse Publications survey

How Often Do Farriers Deal With White Line Disease?

In a normal month, 84% of full-time farriers deal with laminitis, 75% with navicular issues, 70% with white line disease, 26% see pedal osteitis concerns and 43% deal with sidebone concerns in a typical month.

— 2016 American Farriers Journal Farrier Benchmark Study

Friday's Farrier Facts & Figures is brought to you by Markel Insurance.

Markel Corporation (NYSE – MKL) is a holding company for insurance, reinsurance, and investment operations around the world. Headquartered in Richmond, Virginia and founded in 1930, Markel reports its ongoing underwriting operations in three segments, and products originate from four insurance divisions and one reinsurance division. Markel Ventures, a subsidiary that makes strategic investments in companies outside of the insurance marketplace, is another important component of our business.

In each of our businesses, we seek to deliver innovative products and responsive customer service so that we can be a market leader. Our time horizon is long-term, our underwriting approach is disciplined, and our focus is on continuously improving the quality of the customer experience. Our financial goals are to earn consistent underwriting and operating profits and to combine those profits with superior investment returns to build shareholder value.