How Horse Owners Rank The Value Of Farrier Certification

Importance % of Horse Owners  
  2000 2011
Not at all 17% 20%
Somewhat 33% 35%
Preferred 42% 35%
Essential 8% 10%

— 2000 and 2011 American Farriers Journal horse owner surveys

Early Signs Of Laminitis

A recent British study indicates horse owners can easily confuse early signs of laminitis with several other common conditions. Signs of laminitis that are often overlooked by owners include a short and stilted gait, bounding digital pulses, difficulty in making a tight turn and a reluctance to move forward.

In a study with 93 horses whose owners suspected laminitis, 55% were actually diagnosed by vets with the disease. The remaining 45% of the horses suspected of having laminitis issues were diagnosed with undefined lameness, foot abscesses, colic or joint stiffness.

— Great Britain’s Royal Veterinary College, the Animal Health Trust and Rossdales Equine Hospital

Friday's Farrier Facts & Figures is brought to you by Markel Insurance.

Markel Corporation (NYSE – MKL) is a holding company for insurance, reinsurance, and investment operations around the world. Headquartered in Richmond, Virginia and founded in 1930, Markel reports its ongoing underwriting operations in three segments, and products originate from four insurance divisions and one reinsurance division. Markel Ventures, a subsidiary that makes strategic investments in companies outside of the insurance marketplace, is another important component of our business.

In each of our businesses, we seek to deliver innovative products and responsive customer service so that we can be a market leader. Our time horizon is long-term, our underwriting approach is disciplined, and our focus is on continuously improving the quality of the customer experience. Our financial goals are to earn consistent underwriting and operating profits and to combine those profits with superior investment returns to build shareholder value.