Trims Vs. Shoes

Some 99% of full-time farriers trim and shoe while the remaining 1% do trims only.

— 2016 American Farriers Journal Farrier Benchmark Study

Take Steps To Stay Safe

Some 6% of full-time farriers require that someone else be present when trimming and shoeing horses. Only 9% are willing to work alone in a barn on a regular basis.

— 2016 American Farriers Journal Farrier Benchmark Study

Friday's Farrier Facts & Figures is brought to you by Markel Insurance.

Markel Corporation (NYSE – MKL) is a holding company for insurance, reinsurance, and investment operations around the world. Headquartered in Richmond, Virginia and founded in 1930, Markel reports its ongoing underwriting operations in three segments, and products originate from four insurance divisions and one reinsurance division. Markel Ventures, a subsidiary that makes strategic investments in companies outside of the insurance marketplace, is another important component of our business.

In each of our businesses, we seek to deliver innovative products and responsive customer service so that we can be a market leader. Our time horizon is long-term, our underwriting approach is disciplined, and our focus is on continuously improving the quality of the customer experience. Our financial goals are to earn consistent underwriting and operating profits and to combine those profits with superior investment returns to build shareholder value.