In honor of National Farriers Week, here’s a Jeff Foxworthy-type send off of “You Might Be A Farrier If ...” by Thomesville, Ontario, farrier Ken Alliet.
You might be a farrier if ...
- Someone says they’re using coke and you think they are using it for a forge.
- Your wife asks for pads and you come back with leather or plastic for shoeing.
- Traveled with friends or family and pointed out all the places you shod horses along the route.
- Watched a movie with horses in it and thought the shoeing was inappropriate for the era.
- Used a shoeing nail as a toothpick.
- Your most important client is the horse.
- Your favorite reading material in the washroom is the American Farriers Journal, cover to cover.
- You’re talking to someone who doesn’t know your profession and thinks you’re terrible when you say, “I shod (shot) three horses.”
- You review your shoeing in your sleep.
- If as a man wearing an apron doesn’t make you blush.
- If the fly spray you use (Skin So Soft) is mistaken for perfume.
- Spend more time looking down than at the sky.