Burns from a flash fire inside a shoeing rig sent a Deep Creek, British Columbia, farrier to Shuswap Lake General Hospital last week.

The farrier, who was not identified, had been shoeing horses in the morning and had stopped at the Co-op, Salmon Arm Gas Bar to refill a large propane tank mounted under the canopy.

He was disconnecting the filling line from the propane tank, which was close to a small forge.

“There was a release of propane and because the forge was still hot it ignited,” says acting fire chief Jim Nickles. “Paramedics transported him to the hospital. They were concerned about his airway.”

>>Read Full Article