- Cornell University has promoted Trumansburg, N.Y., farrier Steve Kraus to be its senior lecturer of large animal surgery in the Department of Clinical Sciences.
- Chuck Lauchner retired in mid-July as an officer and farrier of the Virginia Beach Mounted Patrol after 23 years.
- The United States Department of Agriculture’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service unveiled a refined public search tool that provides access to Animal Welfare Act compliance records.
- Lowell, Mass.-based Horsepower Technologies has developed the FastTrack device — similar to a knee brace worn by a human athlete — to help horses recover from lameness faster and more effectively.
- Equithrive has added molasses flavor to its joint supplement for those horses that are picky eaters.
- The judges for the 2018 World Horseshoeing Classic, presented by World Championship Blacksmiths and the Kentucky Horseshoeing School (KHS), will be David Smith, AWCF, of England; Jim Quick, CJF, of the United States; and Matt Kuechler, CJF, of Canada. The competition will take place Feb. 21-24 at KHS in Richmond.
A new scholarship has been created that honors the achievements of equine veterinarian Frank Gravlee of Life Data Labs. Photo: Life Data Labs
AAPF/IAPF Announces Frank Gravlee Scholarship
The American and International Associations of Professional Farriers (AAPF/IAPF) announced a scholarship for two veterinary students or recent graduates to attend the 2018 International Hoof-Care Summit.
Equine veterinarian Frank Reilly, APF, of West Chester, Pa., is funding the scholarship to recognize “the lifelong commitments of Mr. [Frank] Gravlee as the founder of Life…