Amish Farrier Shoe Hammers Out A Niche

Family-owned supply shop finds a growing market with composite rods



In the heart of Amish country, Amsterdam Farrier Supply is tucked away on the outskirts of New Holland, Pa. Its location and lack of signs or advertising make it difficult to find, but ask anyone in town, and they know exactly how to get there.  

Johnny Glick is the third-generation owner of this family farrier supply shop which has been around for 32 years. His business has been built upon word of mouth and he regards the quality of customer service as his top priority.  

Shipping 40 to 50 boxes of shoeing supplies a day and 60 boxes at peak time, 80 percent of Glick’s business is direct to farriers. Horse owners and suppliers make up the remaining 20 percent. Lit by kerosene lanterns, the shop is open 6 days a week.

Most of the horses in the New Holland area are Standardbreds, Morgans or Saddlebreds. The area has a lot of Belgians and mules for field work. 

“Typically, the field horses don’t wear shoes; however, that has changed the past few years,” Glick says. As more produce is grown in southeastern Pennsylvania, work horses are on the road more often taking the produce to auctions and markets.


MORE SHOES. Most Amish horses used in fields have gone barefoot, but as more are used to haul wagons of vegetables to market, the use of shoes is growing.

Composite Niche

A unique niche that Amsterdam fulfills is making crushed carbide composite and Borium 2 rods, which are sold to other suppliers…

To view the full article, please subscribe or login.
 Premium content is for our Digital and Premium subscribers. Please purchase a subscription to get access to all American Farriers Journal content and archives.

Top Articles

Current Issue


American Farriers Journal

American Farriers Journal is the “hands-on” magazine for professional farriers, equine veterinarians and horse care product and service buyers.
View More

Must Read Free Eguides

Download these helpful knowledge building tools

View More
Top Directory Listings